Report on Combat Activities to Guerrilla Headquarters, February 1945 - Batangas History, Culture and Folklore Report on Combat Activities to Guerrilla Headquarters, February 1945 - Batangas History, Culture and Folklore

Report on Combat Activities to Guerrilla Headquarters, February 1945

The Gagalac Guerrilla Group was one of the groups operating in Batangas that was given official recognition by the United States Army after World War II. In this February 1945 document, guerrilla group commander Filomeno Gagalac reported activities undertaken by the group against the Japanese in February to Guerrilla Headquarters. The transcription is edited for grammar, punctuation and spelling here and there by this web site.

[p. 1]

Guerrilla Files

Bayuyungan, Talisay, Batangas

February 15, 1945

To Major J. Vanderpool
Commanding Officer
Guerrilla Headquarters
Nasugbu, Batangas

SUBJECT: Report of activities from February 8th to February 12th

Feb. 7 A group of our soldiers scouting the ravine between the ridges of Palawit and of Matipok, near the barrio of Balimbing, encountered eight (8) Japanese soldiers and shot them to death. The said soldiers resisted but they were not able to do harm to our soldiers. The bodies were buried in the ravine where they were killed. The deceased left a few rounds of ammunition and hand grenades.

Feb. 9, 1945 - While fifteen (15) of our soldiers were bound for Mayasang, they lost their way and instead found the Japanese outpost west of Mayasang. The Japanese fled and left their cooked rice untouched, boxes of hand grenades, bullets, empty drums, palay, etc. Licopa arrived with Major Ilagan and his men. The last Japanese to flee was followed and stabbed to death by Miguel Villanueva, one of our soldiers.

Feb. 10, 1945 American soldiers working with our unit shelled the ravine between Balimbing and Matipok, killing a Japanese soldier. The others fled during the attack.

Feb. 11, 1945 A Japanese soldier was killed by some of our soldiers on patrol in the barrio of Pantay, Talisay, Batangas.

A group of guerrillas and civilian home guards saw two Japanese soldiers on the road between Payapa and Mayasang. Immediately, the said group began to chase them. They fled to the Pasubliin ravine and threw grenades at the chasers as they ran. This caused the civilians to withdraw, leaving the job to eleven (11) members of our unit.

At about 4 o’clock, the Japs were cornered under a tree beside the Alas-as River. They were fired at and killed by Nemecio Maganguehan [probably Matanguihan] and Pedro Enriquez of our unit. In charge of the party was Lt. Florencio Vito.

Feb. 12, 1945 Our soldiers patrolling the Boso-boso area reported having killed a Japanese soldier. The said Jap was riding on a raft with the aim, perhaps, of joining their forces at Cuenca.

Capt. Julian Aguno was in charge of the party while Lt. Simeon Mendoza was the one who shot and killed the deceased.

Five Japanese soldiers were chased by our soldiers from Boso-boso to the mountains of Pultero. They were able to escape unhurt

[p. 2]

because the natives of the barrio Baregon gave wrong information as to their whereabouts.

To date, we have a total of thirteen (13) Japanese soldiers killed since February 7th. We include with this report the personal effects of the deceased which might be of importance to your intelligence unit.

Respectfully signed,

Regimental Commander
Gagalac’s Guerrillas


Notes and references:
1 File Number 278, United States National Archives, downloaded from page Gagalac Guerrilla Unit, Philippine Veteran Association Office.
Next Post Previous Post