Full transcription of the so-called “Historical Data” for the barrio of Mabacong, Batangas Town, Batangas, the original scanned documents at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections not having OCR or optical character recognition properties. This transcription has been edited for grammar, spelling and punctuation where possible. The original pagination is provided for citation purposes.
HISTORY AND CULTURAL LIFE OF THE BARRIO OF MABACONG
The present official name of the barrio is Mabacong.
The popular name is Matuko because it was the former name. It was called Matuko because the water at the point is quite dangerous for the people passing along there always saw reptiles called “tuko.” That was long ago. It is now called Mabacong because the people who landed there discovered thick plants of “bakong,” from which the name was derived. The other sitio includes Pagkilatan. Both Mabacong and Pagkilatan were administered by one pangulo.
This barrio was established when Batangas town came into existence.
Some of the original families were the following: Marasigan, Asi, dela Virgen, Rayos, Panaligan, Panganiban, Ramirez, Ylagan, Ceneza, Mendoza.
The succession of tenientes from the earliest time to date are as follows:
1. Brigido Cepillo|
2. Luis Panganiban
3. Aguido Amparo
4. Victor Panganiban
5. Lorenzo Cantos|
6. Isaac Ceniza
7. Castor Balmes
8. Julio Ramirez
According to the old men of the barrio, there were but four houses in the barren land. The land was surrounded with trees and in short it was [a] thick forest. It was only twenty years ago that the people started to clear the place. Gradually, the barrio was cleared of trees by the people who desired to live in the place. They brought their families with them to earn their living. Farming and fishing were the sources of their income. The population has increased innumerably since then.
There are two historical sites that the people can remember. A place of historical story is one of which is Nabulid. It is hilly, rocks are loose, located at the eastern part of the barrio. Its name was derived from the way the rocks fell off the cliff which still to the present are found lying on the shore. Another story about Nabulid, according to the old folks, was that it was used as the cemetery of the victims of [the] cholera epidemic in 1902.
Another historical place is “Napayong,” a big stone with an umbrella shape, located at the southern point of the barrio. The spot is quite inviting to some travelers or excursionists.
During the Spanish occupation, the people suffered much from the punishment of the guardia civil. They
Treated the people harshly that made them hide in caves or forests in order to evade the guards. Civilization was very slow. Transportation was difficult. People went to town on foot. Boats were few. Majority of the people were illiterate. They had simple food and clothing. They planted crops as corn, rice, and other crops. They also raised pigs, goats, and fowls.
The people were called Catholics. They performed the “lubinas” especially during May.
In 1938, before the outbreak of World War II, a school was established in this community under the supervision of Mr. Galicano Luansing. The first barrio teacher of this place was Miss Damiana Salva. Due to the outbreak of war in 1941, the school was closed. People evacuated to Mindoro, Verde Island and to the neighboring communities as Culayo and Lilinggiwan. During the Japanese occupation, the people transacted business. They employed the barter system.
During and after liberation, people returned to the community and resumed their normal lives. At present, some of the families in Mabacong own motor boats for business.
In the year 1949, rebels hid in this place. People again fled to town and stayed for quite a time. This did not last long when the situation became clear. Up to the present, the life of the people of the community is normal.