Full transcription of the so-called “Historical Data” for the barrio of Panghayaan in the Municipality of Ibaan, Batangas, the original scanned documents at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections not having OCR or optical character recognition properties. This transcription has been edited for grammar, spelling and punctuation where possible. The original pagination is provided for citation purposes.
DIVISION OF BATANGAS
District of San Jose
HISTORY AND CULTURAL LIFE OF THE BARRIO (OF PANGHAYAAN)
1. Present official name of the barrio:
2. Popular name of the barrio, present and past; derivation and meanings of these names. Names of sitios included within the territorial jurisdiction of the barrio.
3. Date of establishment – unknown
4. Original families:
5. List of tenientes from the earliest time to the present.
6. Story of old barrios or sitios within the jurisdiction that are now depopulated or extinct:
7. Data on historical sites, structures, buildings, old ruins.
8. Important facts, incidents or events that took place.
(a) During the Spanish occupation.
(b) During the American occupation to World War II
(c) During and after World War II
(c) During and after World War II:
9. (a) Destruction of lives, properties and institutions during the following wars:
(2) 1941-1945 – None
(b) Measures and accomplishments toward rehabilitation and reconstruction following World War II.
The road from Catandala to Panghayaan was improved. This place could be reached by jeeps and trucks during the dry season.
Selling of mosquito nets to Manila increased. With the application of fertilizer, farmers doubled their harvests.
Part II – FOLKWAYS
10. Traditions, customs and practices in domestic and social life: birth, baptism, courtship, marriage, death, burial, visits; festivals, punishments, etc.
11. Myths, legends, beliefs, interpretations, superstitions. Origin of the world, land, mountains, caves, sea, lakes, rivers; plants, trees, animals, sun, moon, stars, eclipse, earthquakes, lightning and thunder, clouds, rain, wind, storms, changes of climate, etc.
12. Popular songs, games and amusements:
a. Games – Softball and sipa
b. Songs – Sa Pagmimithi, Ang Paglakad, Makita Ko Lamang.
c. Amusements – Playing with the guitar, dama, and cockfighting.
13. Puzzes and riddles: Same as others.
14. Proverbs and sayings: Same as others.
15. Methods of measuring time, special calendars.