January 4, 2018

Irukan, Santa Teresita, Batangas: Historical Data

Full transcription of the so-called “Historical Data” for the barrio of Irukan in the Municipality of Santa Teresita, Batangas, the original scanned documents at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections not having OCR or optical character recognition properties. This transcription has been edited for grammar, spelling and punctuation where possible. The original pagination is provided for citation purposes.

[Note to the reader.]

At the time when this document was created, the barrio of Irukan was still a part of Taal rather than Santa Teresita. The barrio would become part of the latter municipality in 1961, after the passage of Executive Order No. 454.

[p. 1]

HISTORY OF THE BARRIO OF IRUKAN

Formerly, long before the Spanish occupation of the Philippines, Irukan and Kalayaan were together as one barrio named Irukan. But later on, Kalayaan formed its own barrio separately from Irukan. This barrio, Irukan, got its name from its abundant product of iruk palms. Majority of the people of this place support themselves from these palms. Venigan, brooms, and iruk sweets come from this product.

The succeeding barrio lieutenants in Irukan were:
 1.  Flaviano Dimaano 1888-1891
 2.  Apolinario Tolentino 1892-1895
 3.  Marcelino Villanueva 1896-1899
 4.  Gregorio Balasbas 1900-1903
 5.  Marcos Mendoza 1904-1907
 6.  Vicente Dimaano 1908-1911
 7.  Apolinario Tolentino 1912-1915
 8.  Jose de Ocampo 1916-1919
 9.  Mariano Salazar 1920-1923
10. Bernardo de Ocampo 1924-1927
11. Leonardo de Ocampo 1928-1931
12. Manuel Villanueva 1932-1935
13. Segundo Tolentino 1936-1939
14. Jose Salazar 1940-1943
15. Fernando Mendoza 1944-1953


The succeeding barrio lieutenants for Kalayaan were:
 1.  Francisco Mendoza 1920-1923
 2.  Jose Enriquez 1924-1927
 3.  Silvestre Agonia 1928-1931
 4.  Jose Alcancia 1932-1935
 5.  Simon Tordecilla 1936-1939
 6.  Roman Marquinez 1940-1946
 7.  Alfredo Enriquez 1947-1953

↓ Scroll down to leave a comment.

Notes and references:
Transcribed from “History of the Barrio of Irukan,” 1953, online at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections.

🙏 Kindly consider sharing this article on your social media accounts to keep this site free for students and lovers of Batangas History.

If you wish to make a donation to Batangas History, click on the Donate button below:

Leave a comment: