Tuyon-tuyon, Tuy, Batangas: Historical Data
At present, the barrio of Tuyon-tuyon is popularly known as Obispo because of the Obispo River. Today, only a few call it Tuyon-tuyon.
Its geographical boundaries are: in the north and west, Obispo River; in the south, Atga River; and in the east, the barrio of Acle.
The name Tuyon-tuyon is derived from the word “tuyong-tuyo” which means very dry. This was attributed to the Atga River which dries up during the dry season.
Formerly, the barrio was an integral part of the barrios of Acle and Putol. It became a separate barrio in 1916 when the provincial road was constructed and passed through that place. After the construction of the provincial road, the people built their houses along the road. Record shows that there were no original families here. Settlers came from Putol, Dao and Acle. From the nearby barrios, the families of Avena, Arsobal, Carinan, Atatado, and Illao moved here as a consequence of the establishment of the provincial road. Wealthy landowners from Taal, Lemery, and Balayan who own the vast tracts of land here brought tenants to work in their lands. Families such as Ramon, Granada, Derjep, Ilagan and Bautista were brought here to engage in the sugar industry.
There were no written records as to the dates and tenures of office of the barrio lieutenants who served. However, old men of the barrio furnished the chronological order of the following lieutenants:
1. Ciriaco Atatado|
2. Jose Arsobal
3. Vicente Cauntay
4. Julian Arsobal|
5. Pedro Atatado
6. Gaudencio Dimailig