By the year 1916, the American colonial government in the Philippines was well into the execution of various infrastructure projects aimed at improving the standard of living in the country as well as stimulating economic activity and growth. These infrastructures included the construction of rail and road networks, including bridges; public government buildings and facilities such as municipal halls, jails and schools; water supply systems and many others.
The execution of these infrastructure projects fell on the shoulders of the Bureau of Public Works. In its April 1917 Quarterly Bulletin1, the bureau reported the construction of the Palico Bridge, an important connector part of the Tuy-Nasugbu Road.
About this bridge, the bureau had this to say:
Below are two photos of the Palico Bridge in 1917.
|Approach to the Palico Bridge in Nasugbu. Image digitally extracted from the April 1917 edition of the Bureau of Public Works Quarterly Bulletin.|
|The Palico Bridge seen from the riverbank. Image digitally extracted from the April 1917 edition of the Bureau of Public Works Quarterly Bulletin.|
Notes and references:
1 “Bureau of Public Works Quarterly Bulletin, Volume 6 No. 1,” published April 1917 in Manila by the Bureau of Public Works.