BASAHIN SA FILIPINO! Maaaring basahin ang pahinang ito sa FILIPINO. Gawin lamang i-click ang salitang "TRANSLATE" sa kanang bahagi sa itaas at piliin ang pagsalin mula Ingles sa Filipino.

January 4, 2018

Caylaway, Nasugbu, Batangas: Historical Data

Full transcription of the so-called “Historical Data” for the barrio of Caylaway in the Municipality of Nasugbu, Batangas, the original scanned documents at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections not having OCR or optical character recognition properties. This transcription has been edited for grammar, spelling and punctuation where possible. The original pagination is provided for citation purposes.

[p. 1]

HISTORICAL DATA OF CAYLAWAY PROPER

Part One – History

1. The present official name of the barrio is Caylaway. It had been popularly known as Gulod and later it was named Caylaway, a name later adopted by the Batangas Transportation Company referring to the barrio proper.

2. It was established around the year 1886. The first family to settle was the Caisip family.

3. List of tenientes to date –
 1.  Manuel Caisip  8.  Gavinio
 2.  Talino Peñano  9.  Kune Biado
 3.  Raye 10. Victor Gatdula
 4.  Valentin 11. Adriano Alla
 5.  Ambrosio 12. Pedro Alla
 6.  Cornelio 13. Victoriano Bituin
 7.  Talyo alias Taliong Mura 14. Amando Peñano (present)
4. Encargados –
 1.  Villamarin  4. Domingo Destreza
 2.  Florencio Rivera  5.  Mariano Hernando
 3.  Felix Guenza
5. Administrators
 1.  Trafaga  2.  Venancio Duerte - Present
Story of Caylaway

Long ago, the place was called Gulod. It was formerly a part of the town of Alfonso, Cavite. At present, Caylaway is part of Nasugbu. The following information was gathered as to how it came to be an hacienda of the Roxas brothers.

According to the old folks, the place now called Caylaway and its surrounding places belonged to a rich and powerful “capitan.” During that time also, there was a rich Spaniard by the name of Don Jose who wanted very much to annex the land to his already vast landholdings. Don Jose wanted to own the land very much and so he thought of a plan to deceive the capitan so as to acquire the land by foul means.

One day, in the year 1886, Don Jose gave a party in honor of the capitan. It was a grand affair with plenty of food, wine and liquor. The capitan, unaware of the evil desire of Don

[p. 2]

Jose, drank much wine and fell so drunk that cost him much. Don Jose handed him a piece of paper saying that it was to seal their friendship. The capitan, still unsuspecting and because he was under the influence of liquor, signed the paper which was, in fact, a deed of sale. It was only after the next day that he realized he was deceived. He filed a complaint against Don Jose and they were tried in court. Investigations were conducted but investigators found [missing words] with the letters that showed Don Juan owned the land. The capitan, then, had to accept his defeat and the place was, since then, a part of Hacienda Nasugbu of Don Jose.

Incidents that happened during the Spanish rule:

The main cause of the revolt was [the] unjust and cruel rule of the Spaniards. Battles were fought with the Filipinos on the losing side, they used simple weapons like the following:

1. Sundong – pointed weapons used like the bayonet for killing. It can also be used for cutting.

2. Sinampaloc – another kind of long bolo.

3. Dahong buho – an extraordinary long, pointed bolo.

4. Buntot-igat – a kind of bolo, narrower than the rest and from the appearance of the end, similar to the tail of an eel.

These weapons were used in fighting with the Spaniards, until they were able to capture the Spanish Mauser and the Remington used by the civils. The Filipinos used traps in fighting the enemy. One of these spears made of bamboo was put on top of the cogon grass. Their great enemies was the “Cerdillers,” with the duty as the present policemen and another was the “Guards,” the ones assigned to arrest tobacco smugglers.

The leaders of these rebels was Andres Cabral, well-known as “Sagasa” as he could hardly become patient. He was an aggressive leader. His right hand man was Pedro Alvarez, better known as “Araro,” as he always wanted to advance close and shouted “Araro” as a battle cry.

Some of their men were Servando Crisostomo,

[p. 3]

Felix Crisostomo, both kapitan; Hilario Pereye, Pedro Relle, better known as “Padrong Lulay,” Quintin de Guzman, Apolonio Noveno, Marcelo Alegre, Laureano Creus, Servando Gomez, Juan Caisip, Monico Caisip, Tomas Garcia, and Francisco Pujante, all soldiers of “Sagasa.”



Battles were fought in Amuyong, later in Ludlod, the one called “labanan sa bateriya ng Igme.”

When the Americans came, the Filipinos had conquered the Spaniards in that area.

A. Pre-Spanish:

1. Church – once located in the new lot of Victoriano Bituin. It was burned by the Spaniards when they arrived. It was built under the supervision of Florencio Rivera and the encargado at that time.

B. Spanish Time:
1. Storehouse beside the school.

2. School built under the supervision of the Spaniards – beside the place of the church.

C. Arrival of the Americans:
1. Caylaway School – Aga.

D. During the Japanese occupation: None.

E. After World War II:
1. Caylaway Extension School – 1946.

Important Facts and Events:

During the Japanese occupation, seven men from the poblacion were killed by the Japanese soldiers. They were:
 1.  Jose Rustia  4.  Antonio Alix
 2.  Felipe Oliva  5.  Antonio Zabarte
 3.  Gelacio Cupo  6.  Marcelo Sobreviñas
A guerrilla unit was organized by Dado Destreza but they were unfortunate as they were killed by their own countrymen due to rivalry of power.

[p. 4]

When the Americans landed, the guerrillas under the leadership of Gervacio Ilao were inducted into the U.S. Army. A plane crashed at the Caylaway station. There was an encounter with the Japanese on February 1, 1944 at Tubog, followed by one in Upilas Mt. in March, 1944 when the Japanese were killed and a guerrilla by the name of Apolonio Ilao was wounded. On May 5, 1944, Mariano Pañganiban, a guerrilla officer from Calaca, was killed and two were wounded, namely Pedro Urenica and Isidro Ilao.

Rehabilitations made after World War II

A. [The] Caylaway School main building was constructed at barrio Aga, the former school site.

PART II – Folkways, Traditions and Customs

a. Singing the passion during Lent.

b. Having a kind of thanksgiving during the month of January called “Pasalamat.” During such rites, rice sticks are made, cakes baked, pigs and other edible animals like the chickens are killed. These serve as an offering to God. Sometimes, the food is not eaten but, instead, it is buried.

c. It is customary to slaughter the tenth of every cattle born. A party is given and many people were invited.

d. Offering candles to God as thanksgiving for [a] plentiful harvest or to regain health.

e. During courtship, when the schedule for the wedding is made, the parents of the girl ask for things, which are given by the parents of the boy. Example – The construction of the house and donation of a certain amount or number of cattle heads.

2. Beliefs:

1. When the fire makes [an] unusual noise, money will in some way be earned.

2. The cat washing his face foretells coming visitors.

3. A black cat crossing one’s way reveals coming bad luck.

[p. 5]

The barrio of Caylaway has the following sitios:

1. Calo – this sitio got its name from a bird called Kalaw which thrive in the forest of that place. Kalaw in Tagalog is Calo.

2. Asis – its name was derived from the fact that there were many asis trees in that place during the olden times.

3. Batang – was a name gotten from ma-batang. Batang trees were plenty t here long ago.

4. Batulaw – derived its name from Batu-raw, meaning there were plenty of rocks and stones.

5. Malusak – got its name because, long ago, they said that plenty of wild animals like pigs and deer were plenty there. Malusak means plenty.

6. Bato – is a name given to the place for the place is really a rock of stone. [?]

7. Santol – its name originated from the santol tree located at the river bank long ago which served as a boundary from the rest of the neighboring barrios.

8. Mapughan – plenty of giant plants called pughan are found in the place now called “Mapughan.”

9. Tubog – derived its name from the very deep river the bank of which measures one kilometer deep.

10. Kay Tabak – long ago, a man lived there with a bolo on his waist called tabak in Tagalog.

11. Palako – an old man by the name of Palako once lived there.

12. Calamias – there was a camias tree that once grew in the place long ago.

Resource Persons:
 1.  Eusebio Pascua - 92 years old - Caylaway
 2.  Gervasio Ilao - 93 years old - Santol
 3.  Felix Caisip - 88 years old - Santol
 4.  Placido Alegre - 76 years old - Palako
 5.  Modesta Handson - 94 years old - Caylaway
 6.  Monico Caisip - 90 years old - Santol

↓ Scroll down to leave a comment.

Notes and references:
Transcribed from “Historical Data of Caylaway Proper,” 1953, online at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections.

🙏 Kindly consider sharing this article on your social media accounts to keep this site free for students and lovers of Batangas History.

If you wish to make a donation to Batangas History, click on the Donate button below:

Leave a comment: