January 4, 2018

San Antonio, San Pascual, Batangas: Historical Data

Full transcription of the so-called “Historical Data” for the barrio of San Antonio in the Municipality of San Pascual, Batangas, the original scanned documents at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections not having OCR or optical character recognition properties. This transcription has been edited for grammar, spelling and punctuation where possible. The original pagination is provided for citation purposes.

[Note to the reader.]

At the time when this document was created, the barrio of San Antonio was still a part of Bauan rather than San Pascual. The latter did not become a separate municipality until the year 1969, after the passage of Republic Act No. 6166.

[p. 1]

HISTORY AND CULTURAL LIFE OF SAN ANTONIO

PART ONE – HISTORY

1. The present official name of the barrio is San Antonio.

2. The name of this barrio before was “Butuhan.” It got this name due to the existence of too many banana plants known as “butuhan.” The people planted too many of these plants because the leaves of these plants were used to wrap betel leaves.

At present, the popular name of the barrio is San Antonio, in honor of its barrio lieutenant before, whose name was Antonio Arano. This lieutenant was believed to have had a very good administration over the barrio. The people appreciated him so much that after his death, they named the barrio San Antonio.

3. This was about the year 1913.

4. Original families:

Felipe Conti & Alejo de la Rosa.

5. List of tenientes from the earliest time to date.
 1.  Cabeza Joaquin Talain  8.  Teniente Antonio Arano
 2.  Cabeza Mauricio Conti  9.  Teniente Esteban de la Rosa
 3.  Cabeza Alejo de la Rosal 10. Teniente Lucas Caringal
 4.  Cabeza Francisco Sandoval 11. Teniente Silvestre Calingasan
 5.  Cabeza Sixto 12. Teniente Anselmo Buhat
 6.  Cabeza Joaquin Talain 13. Teniente Maximo Masagpag
 7.  Cabeza Domingo Conti 14. Teniente Eugenio Ilagan


6. This barrio has many sitios like Jipit, Tramo (Pook before), Real, Hagonoy, & San Antonio proper.

Real is one of its sitios which is now depopulated. This is at the mouth of the Hagonoy River. This is a place where the fishermen of San Antonio go out to fish.

7. The house of Felipe Conti at the foot of the Hagonoy Bridge. (Believed to have been constructed before the Spanish regime and still standing there.)

8. a. Felipe Conti – a private tutor during the Spanish regime.

b. From 1915-1918, the sugar industry was in progress; 1921 – burning of the house of one Cirilo Magnayi.

[p. 2]

9. 1926 – A big storm occurred & the Hagonoy River overflowed its banks. The bridge collapsed.

1918 – Locusts destroyed the rice plants of the barrio.

Japanese Occupation – seizure of food, especially rice.

10. A person named Esteban (bulag) blind was very famous for his “awits.” In spite of his blindness, he could raise betel leaves and could determine whether the plant was infested with certain insects or not. When he heard a cock crow, he could readily tell its color.

Note: San Antonio, as a barrio being very near the poblacion, is almost linked with the latter in all phases of its existence. Hence, the historical data for the barrio somewhat becomes similar, especially in traditions, customs, legends, etc.

Prepared by:

(MRS.) BENITA A. GENEROSO

↓ Scroll down to leave a comment.

Notes and references:
Transcribed from “History and Cultural Life of San Antonio,” 1953, online at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections.

🙏 Kindly consider sharing this article on your social media accounts to keep this site free for students and lovers of Batangas History.

If you wish to make a donation to Batangas History, click on the Donate button below:

Leave a comment: