The archipelagic Municipality of Tingloy has a somewhat complicated history. At various times in its history it was a barrio of either Taal or Bauan. Physically, it was always closer to Bauan since it can be reached – at least, in the present day – in less than an hour by motorboat from the tip of the Calumpang Peninsula, where Bauan is incidentally located.
In 1955, the former barrio of Bauan formally separated to become a town in itself by way of Republic Act Number 1344, the contents of which are provided below:
AN ACT TO CREATE THE MUNICIPALITY OF TINGLOY IN THE PROVINCE OF BATANGAS
Section 1. The barrios of Tingloy, Maricaban, Payapa, Pisa, Gamao, and Talahib are hereby separated from the Municipality of Bauan, Province of Batangas, and constituted into a separate and independent municipality to be known as the Municipality of Tingloy in the Province of Batangas. The seat of government of the newly constituted Municipality of Tingloy shall be located in the present site of the barrio of Tingloy.
Sec. 2. The first officials of the newly constituted Municipality of Tingloy shall be appointed by the President of the Philippines, and shall hold office until their successors shall have been elected and have qualified.
Sec. 3. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.
Approved: June 17, 1955