Road construction not only in Batangas but also elsewhere in the Philippines was among the top priorities of the new American colonial government as early as 1900. The task of constructing these roads fell upon the Bureau of Public Works. By 1914, road construction was ongoing at a feverish pace. The bureau even brought into Batangas a stone-crushing power machine for the creation of macadam with which the roads would be built.
In the July 1914 edition of the bureau’s Quarterly Bulletin, while it admired the previous Spanish colonial government for laying down a complete road network, the bureau also lamented that they did not, however, actually follow through in the actual construction of the roads.
Hence, in 1914 there were still roads in Batangas that needed to be paved, such the one below at Kilometer 116 along the Batangas to Ibaan Road. It was still unpaved in 1914 and most likely unpassable during the rainy season.
|An unpaved portion of the Batangas-Ibaan Road. Image digitally extracted from the July 1914 edition of the Bureau of Public Works Quarterly Bulletin.|
Notes and references:
1 “Bureau of Public Works Quarterly Bulletin, Volume 2 No. 4,” compiiled by C.A. Tansill, published July 1914 in Manila by the Bureau of Public Works.