The photograph below is from the October 19131 edition of the quarterly bulletin and captioned: “Lipa (Batangas) market. (Block of reinforced concrete tiendas, on left, under construction.)”
This type of market is described as with “a central bay having a trussed roof span and two-side lean-to bays, supported on four lines of columns. Lean-to bays are continuous around both ends of the building, thus enclosing the central bay.”
|The Lipa Public Market in 1913. Image digitally extracted from the October 1913 Bureau of Public Works Bulletin.|
The market’s dimensions were placed at 21 x 43 meters and funding for its construction included ₱20,000.00 by way of loan from the Insular (or colonial) Government and ₱5,000 as appropriation from the municipal government of Lipa.
Notes and references:
1 “Bureau of Public Works Quarterly Bulletin, Volume 2 No. 3,” compiiled by C.A. Tansill, published October 1913 in Manila by the Bureau of Public Works.