Tuy, Batangas: Historical Data Part Part II - Batangas History, Culture and Folklore Tuy, Batangas: Historical Data Part Part II - Batangas History, Culture and Folklore

Tuy, Batangas: Historical Data Part Part II

Historical Data graphic
Historical data from the National Library of the Philippines.



[Table of Contents continued.]

Topics Pages
        9. History and Culture of the Barrio Dao
           a. Present Name, Popular Name and Derivation
           b. Important Facts, Incidents or Events that Took Place
           c. Popular Songs
           d. Mga Bugtong (Riddles)
           e. Proverbs and Sayings
       10. History and Cultural Life of Bolbok
           a. Important Facts, Incidents or Events that Took Place
           b. Folkways
           c. Superstitious Beliefs
           d. Popular Songs, Games and Amusements
           e. Methods of Telling Time
           f. Riddles
           g. Proverbs and Sayings
           h. Conclusion
       11. History and Cultural Life of Magahis
           a. Riddles
           b. Proverbs
       12. History and Cultural Life of Barrio Toong
           a. Folk Songs
       13. History and Cultural Life of the Barrio
           a. Sayings
           b. Customs and Traditions
       14. History and Cultural Life of Sabang
           a. Folkways
       15. History and Cultural Life of Barrio Mataywanac
           a. Folkways

[p. 1]


Part One: History
Present Official Name of the Town
Former Name – Tuy

There are two legends on how the name got its name. One of which in the common belief is as follows: In the early days of the Spanish occupation, there were many trees growing abundantly in this place. One of these was a tree called “tuy,” a tree of white light wood commonly used in making wooden shoes. When the Spaniards first came here, they wanted to know the name of the place. One of the Spaniards saw a native resting in the shade of a tree, approached the man and asked in Spanish for the name of the place. The native, not understanding what the Spaniard meant for he spoke in Spanish, thought he was asked the name of the tree under whose shade he was resting. At the spur of the moment, the man immediately answered, “TUY.” The Spaniard, believing that the man gave him the correct answer, began to call this place Tuy. So, from that time on, the place was called Tuy. Some, however, say that the place was named after a certain town in Spain which bears that same name. This town of Tuy in Spain is still existing today.

Date of Establishment

Tuy was declared a town in 1867 during the governorship of the then-alcalde mayor Don Salvador Elio [uncertain, blurred]. It was reverted to a barrio in 1899 and declared a town again in 1911.

Names of Persons who Held Leading Official
Positions in the Community

A. Spanish time (Dates of tenure unobtainable)
1. Capitan Tararo
2. Capitan Bernalde
3. Capitan Cleto Panaligan
4. Capitan Agustin Apacible
5. Capitan Mariano Marella
6. Capitan Ramon Mangubat
7. Capitan Cirilo Garcia
8. Capitan Santiago Rillo
9. Capitan Santiago Apacible
B. American Regime
 1.  Baltazar Afable
 2.  Gregorio Paradero
 3.  Narciso Afable
 4.  Sixto Rodriguez
 5.  Rafael Carandang
Municipal President
Municipal President
Municipal President
Municipal President
Municipal President

[p. 2]

6. Vicente Almanzar, Municipal President from 1926 – 3 months after assuming office, he died.

7. Eduardo Causapin, Municipal President from 1926 – as successor to the late Vicente Almanzar.

8. Galicano Afable, Municipal President from June 16, 1928 – Oct. 15, 1931.

9. Vicente Calingasan, Municipal President from 1932-1940.

10. Apolinario Apacible, Municipal President from 1941-1942.

C. Japanese Occupation

1. Vicente Calingasan, Municipal President from 1943-1944.

D. Liberation

1. Apolinario Apacible, Municipal Mayor from 1945-1946.

2. Felix Almanzar, Municipal Mayor from 1947 – Feb. 16, 1949.

3. Tirso S. Cruz, Municipal Mayor from Feb. 16, 1949 – Dec. 31, 1951.

4. Pedro C. Macalalad, Present Incumbent.

Important Facts, Incidents or Events that Took Place

A. Spanish Regime

Tuy was declared a proper town in 1867 during the governorship of the Provincial Governor or Alcalde Mayor, Don Salvadro Elio. The barrios comprising Tuy during that time included Obispo, Mataywanac, Lumbangan, Luntal, Bolbok, Mr. Batulao, Acle, Magahis, Sabang, Mt. Buntis, Sangkalan, Malibu, Palingkero, Talon, Bayudbud, Dao, Dalima, Putol and Guinhawa.

The town proper of Tuy was formerly a part of Obispo. The first Capitan Municipal was Don Pedro Arcayno, alias Bingot, and the first priest was Fr. Aguado Marino, both from Taal.

During the Spanish times, Tuy was a big town. People lived in big houses, and fiestas were celebrated with the traditional pomp attributed to Filipinos during those times. According to some old men, Tuy was regarded as the “Antipolo of Batangas” because people who could not go to the real Antipolo due to hardships in traveling worshipped at Tuy because it had the same patron saint.

The people of Tuy lived peacefully until the fateful day in September 1896 during the incumebency of Capitan Santiago Apacible when the Filipino insurrectos entered the town to take it. They

[p. 3]

were able to take command of the town and the inhabitants evacuated the town. Then, help came from the Spaniards from the town of Balayan. Before the insurrectos left, however, they set fire [to] the church, the Municipal Building, and all the houses in the town.

During the invasion of American in 1899, Tuy and Calatagan became parts of Balayan. It was agreed that Tuy and Calatagan would each be given a councilor to represent them at the meeting of the Municipal Council in Balayan.

B. American Occupation

At the beginning of the American occupation, Tuy was a barrio of Balayan governed by two councilors, namely: Councilor Santiago Valdez, and Councilor Jacinto Masalaguin.

From that time, there was a school made of light materials situated in the town plaza. Three grades were organized – I, II and III. There was also a public market where people bought and sold their goods.

By 1911, Tuy became a town again. The first President was Capitan Baltazar Afable, first appointed and then by oral election. He governed the town from 1911-1912. During his time, the municipal building was a rented house. He did not finish his term so Mr. Agustin Apacible took his place.

By 1912, Mr. Gregogio Paradero was elected President. He governed until 1914. There was peace and order during this time. Mr. Paradero also donated the present school site to the town.

Next to Mr. Paradero was Mr. Narciso Afable. He held office until 1918. Much progress was done. He was responsible for the following: 1. a pump well near the municipal building, 2. a municipal building of strong materials, 3. a public market, 4. celebration of Rizal Day and town fiesta, 5. organization of societies [uncertain, word blurred], 6. cleaning and widening of the streets and 7. the organization of a complete primary school. His Chief of Police was Mr. Eliseo Hernandez and the Justice of the Peace was Mr. Marciano Atienza.

Mr. Sixto Rodriguez succeeded Mr. Afable. He continued the good works started by Mr. Afable. Mr. Rafael Carandang succeeded Mr. Rodriguez. He economized everything. Street lights were cut. No special work could be traced under him.

Mr. Vicente Almanzar came after Mr. Carandang. After 6 months, he died. Vice-President Eduardo Causapin took his place, but Mr. Causapin had indifference with his Chief of Police, so he gave up the position to Mr. Pio Sanchez, the first councilor. It was during this time that the intermediate classes were organized.

[p. 4]

Mr. Galicano Afable came after Mr. Sanchez. He was the Municipal President from 1928-1931. The term was peaceful. Under his administration, the shop and home companion buildings were constructed. Two extension rooms were added to the main building.

Mr. Vicente Calingasan took over the Presidency from 1932-1940, three successive terms under Mr. Afable. There was practically no progress made except an artesian well built near his house. Judge Atienza was replaced by Judge Castillo.

Attorney Apoliniario Apacible replaced Mr. Calingasan. It was during his time that World War II broke out.


The Japanese arrived in Tuy about the second week of January, 1942. They established their government in the town in the latter part of April, 1942 with Mr. Vicente Calingasan as Mayor; Mr. Clemente Sale as Treasurer; Mr. Emilio Santos as Chief of Police; and Mr. Mariano Filler as Municipal Secretary. They did not establish a military outpost in the town, but later civilian Japanese came to the town and took charge of the production of cotton. A branch of Dai Nippon Baseki [undertain, blurred] KK was consequently established. The landowners were forced to devote a part of their land to cotton and the tenants worked in the cotton fields. Land owners were given rations with which to buy cloth, soap, sugar, and other commodities from the cotton company. Maria rice was sold to the people to prevent hunger.

In May, 1942, the late Domingo Tuguigui [uncertain, blurred] began organizing the Fil-American Irregular Troops and guerrilla organization with some prominent citizens as his officers. This guerrilla outfit was responsible for the apprehension of Japanese spies in this place, among them the notorious Roberto Banales who was shot in the house of the late Bernardino Mendoza on Oct. 23, 1943. From that time, the Japanese began apprehending persons suspected of guerrilla activities. Among those apprehended was Domingo Tuguigui, who was taken by the Japanese to Mindoro, where he was killed.

In November 1944, the Japanese stationed several hundred soldiers in this town. Many of the big houses were occupied by the soldiers and used as their barracks.

This was followed by the establishment of an office where the Japanese soldiers bought everything needed in their headquarters. This office was divided into several divisions, namely: Food Production, Labor and Transportation. This office helped the people greatly as everything the Japanese needed such as vegetables, fish, etc. were paid for through this office. The officials and employees of this office were paid a salary and also given ratios of cloth, sugar, soap, and other commodities


Notes and references:
Transcribed from “History and Cultural Data of the Municipality of Tuy,” 1953, online at the National Library of the Philippines Digital Collections.
Next Post Previous Post